KIC InnoEnergy provides support for finalising and commercialising technological innovations that lead to new products and services.
More than 60 nuclear reactors are currently under construction in 15 countries around the world, and nuclear power remains an important part of a sustainable energy mix. Following the Fukushima accident, even greater emphasis is being placed on research and development around nuclear safety and radiation management. Demand is growing for innovative, advanced instrumentation and measurement methods, in order to increase reliability, performance and competitiveness of reactors. KIC InnoEnergy therefore supports projects that develop:
- Instrumentation and measurement systems that monitor materials and structures under severe conditions
- New systems for radiation monitoring at elevated temperatures
- Technologies for non-destructive testing
- New simulation tools to help decision-making and prolong the life of reactors
- Wireless and fibre optic sensors