KIC InnoEnergy provides support for finalising and commercialising technological innovations that lead to new products and services.
The built environment accounts for 40 per cent of the world’s energy consumption. Creating smart and efficient buildings and cities is therefore key to sustainable development. The goal is to achieve comfortable, affordable, near zero-energy buildings, upgrade ageing energy infrastructure, enable ‘prosumers’, integrate distributed energy resources, and encourage integration across different energy carriers and IT infrastructures at the city level – all in a series of highly fragmented, local markets.
KIC InnoEnergy is fostering innovation that:
- Supports deep renovation of existing commercial and residential buildings.
- Creates more energy-efficient and sustainable heat pumps, heating, and air-conditioning systems.
- Enables more effective use of local energy supplies, and storage capabilities.
- Supports interaction between local energy networks within the city.
- Improves comfort levels and general user acceptance of energy-efficiency solutions.
- Creates cost efficiencies for urban energy networks.