The MSc SELECT Fall Seminar was held last week at KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden. This annual event kick-starts the new academic year bringing together all SELECT students and some academic staff during 3 days. A chance to get to know each other, discuss the challenges ahead, meet inspiring professionals while having a good time!
This annual event gathers first and second year students from all partner universities of the SELECT programme. The location changes from one year to another but the scope remains the same: strengthening collaboration between students for additional soft skills to be developed, greater ideas to be shared and better results to be achieved. The 2016 edition was held in sunny Stockholm where were also welcomed 7 students from the Open University of Sri Lanka (OUSL) as part of the new Remote SELECT programme. The Sri Lankan students will attend their first year of SELECT programme remotely from OUSL before joining one of our European partner universities next year.
The programme is packed but always carried out in a great atmosphere. First year students attend introduction courses in group dynamics and project management while second year students focus is on entrepreneurship, branding and fast prototyping.
Students also complete various challenges in team, attend lab visits and strengthen their relationship with academic staff and industry. Presentations from industry players but also entrepreneurs or other inspiring professionals are indeed on the agenda.
The Fall Seminar is also the opportunity for new-coming students to meet their mentor from the second year in order to make the most out of their SELECT journey!
Last but not least, students are introduced to their new real-life projects, known as (Integrated) Projects of the Year, that will allow them to apply their knowledge, skills and competences in close collaboration with the industry. Just to give you an idea of how exciting and challenging this can be, below are some of the missions that MSc SELECT students will work on in the coming months:
- Revolutionise power distribution in rural areas by developing a smart rural grid concept and exploring the best ways to make the transition from current rural distribution networks to the new small-scale power generation model. (Commissioned by Estabanell Energia, Spain)
- Explore possible business models and solutions for integrating energy storage at mobile, distributed and centralized levels to increase the share of renewables in the smart grid. (Commissioned by Estabanell Energia, Spain)
- Explore possibilities for development of the Island of Tylön, currently uninhabited, as a (eco) tourist location with a holistic view to include water, heat and power. (Commissioned by the National Property Board of Sweden)
- Identify opportunities for sustainable energy sources, sanitations, water supply, waste collection as well as provide access to skills, entrepreneurship and education to support the construction of an ecofriendly and sustainable village in the Honde Valley, Zimbabwe. (Commissioned by Eortune Development Center, Zimbabwe/Sweden)
- Identify which renewable energy technologies shall replace the current energy sources used at the newspaper premises (production site). This will imply to do a comprehensive feasibility study on wind, solar and biomass opportunities that will best fulfill the company’s energy demand. (Commissioned by Wijeya Newspaper Ltd, Sri Lanka)
We are now looking forward to the next SELECT Spring Seminar to find out more on the outcome of these projects!