Multi-fuel energy generation for Sustainable and Efficient use of Coal
The SECoal project is dedicated to deliver innovative approaches to the co-utilisation of multi-fuel inputs of various origin and quality in conjunction with coal-based power generation. It aims at a quick delivery of industrially demanded, yet innovative, technological solutions and products ready for direct deployment in power utilities.
SECoal project combines multiple fuel streams, such as low-quality agriculture residues, energy crops, solid recovered fuels from waste, lean CH4 off-gases (Coal Mine Methane – CMM), glycerine and liquid bio-fuels with variable viscosity and others with hard and brown coal for large-scale, efficient and sustainable electricity and combined heat and power production. To that end, a combination of bench-scale and full-scale experiments will serve for creation of appropriate modelling tools that will describe multi-fuel combustion in various firing technologies including PC and CFB technologies.
The project goes far beyond existing co-firing practices I terms of highest thermal shares of additional fuels and variety of additional bio-fuels while mitigate negative effects associated with such firing. In parallel to bio-originating fuels, an innovative approach for utilization of low calorific value, large streams of CH4-lean off-gases from coal-mine will be delivered.
Model of biomass combustion in CFB boiler and demo-software for on-line creep monitoring of combustion system have been completed, as well as additive-enriched fuel-market guidelines have been issued.
Project Coordinaton and Management:
Project Manager: prof. Marek Pronobis
Silesian University of Technology: Institute of Power Engineering and Turbomachinery
Wroclaw University of Technology: Institute of Power Engineering and Fluid Mechanics
Czestochowa University of Technology
Cracow University of Technology
BZN- Bay Zoltán Applied Research Nonprofit Ltd. : Institute for Logistics and Production Systems
Polish Academy of Sciences: institute of Chemical Engineering
Innowacyjne Przedsiębiorstwo Wielobranżowe POLIN
University of Stuttgart: Institute of Combustion and Power Plant Technology
Royal Institute of Technology: Energy and Furnace Technology
SECoal will deliver the following products and services:
- A novel biomass pre-treatment technology (hydro-treatment)
- Patent applications on catalyst for methane total combustion
- Model of biomass combustion in CFB boiler
- Model of 3D biomass combustion and co-combustion in PC boiler
- Optimized fuel mix of lignite / coal and biomass/waste co-firing
- Final design of low NO x Flameless-Burner concept for bio-derived LCV gases
- Liquid fuel-gas burner design
- Diagnosis and monitoring system for fouling and slagging
- High capacity (1.5 t/h) liquid bio-fuel burner tested in full-scale
- Demo-software for on-line creep monitoring of combustion system