Efficient Coal Fired Stoker Boilers
Stoker boilers of medium to high capacity ranges (10-50MWt) remain standard sources of energy for district heating and industry. Despite their maturity in design and operation, their imminent technological solutions such as untight grate, relatively small combustion chamber and high excess air numbers, make it difficult to fulfill new regulations in terms of emissions ( Directive IED – Industrial Emissions Directive) and provide highest efficiency standards.
In line with this above, the EcoStoker project aims at:
- Development and implementation (pilot and proof of concept) of patented but yet not tested in full-scale reality, solution of internal jet-pump ventilators for homogenization of flow pattern in the combustion chamber and injection of reactants – lowering of emissions.
- Development and implementation (pilot and proof of concept) of patented but yet not tested in full-scale reality, solution of waste heat recovery at the tail of stoker boiler – efficiency gain
- Estimation f market potential for the above mentioned technologies.
- The boiler under consideration is a coal fired WR-40 unit generating hot water for district heating with the capacity of 40MWt. This contract is part of a program of modernization of the district heating needed in Poland, preparing to meet the 2016 emission standards as set in the IED directive (Industrial Emissions Directive).
The technologies are implemented and tested at newly built stoker boiler in CHP plant (EC Tychy S.A.) belonging to TAURON. Coal fired WR-40 stoker boiler is ready to meet the 2016 IED standards:
- 1st in Poland IED ready stoker
- already redesigned for testing the two EcoStoker products
Project Coordinaton and Management:
Project Manager: Sylwester Kalisz
- Silesian University of Technology
- Tauron Ciepło S.A.
- Technical University of Ostrava
EcoStoker will deliver the following products:
- Jet-pump ventilators for homogenisation of flow pattern
- Combined waste heat recovery and flue gas purification